Now this is more like it. End of the week chocolate chip cheesecake with chocolate mousse topping!
I chose to make this one in a 7-inch pan. I find the smaller pans are great for adding height and not eating cheesecake for seven days straight.
The cake is made over two days. Starting with the chocolate crumb base and filling. Top with the chocolate mousse the next day. It’s best not to rush adding the mousse. You’ll want the cheesecake completely cooled or risk a runny little mess on your hands.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
- 1½ cup chocolate crumbs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ? cup melted butter
- For the cheesecake layer
- 2 packages cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp coffee, cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup heavy cream - whipped
- Preheat the oven to 325
- In a bowl combine the crumbs, sugar and butter. Press the mixture in the bottom and up the sides of a springform pan. Bake for 8 minutes
- Meanwhile, cream the cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla and eggs. Mix until well combined then fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 40 minutes. Cool completely in the fridge before topping with the mousse layer.
- For the mousse layer, melt the chocolate chips and butter in a medium sauce pan. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, coffee and vanilla. Stir a few tablespoons of chocolate in the egg mixture to bring up to temperature. Add the eggs into the sauce pan and stir over low until you reach 160 degrees. Place the pan in ice water to cool, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whip the cream and gently fold into the chocolate. Smooth the mousse over the cheesecake and refrigerate until set.