Naturally gluten free, this cake is made with almond flour for the perfect flavor and texture to pair with rich, dark chocolate. If you have a strong chocolate craving, bake this.
This chocolate almond cake was the result of a chocolate craving that couldn’t be curbed. With a deep chocolate flavor, it is well suited for the chocolate lover in your life. I prefer to heat each slice for 15 seconds in the microwave before serving. When heated, the warm cake takes on a gooey texture reminiscent of fudge brownies and cookies fresh from the oven.
As a bonus, the cake is naturally gluten-free.
This gluten-free Chocolate Almond Cake relies on almond flour to hold it together and give the cake texture. Dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate acts as a base for the cake—follow your preference here. Several eggs are used, which help to set it up similar to a thick custard. Serve for the chocolate lover in your life (especially if that person happens to be you).
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) butter, melted
- 9 ounces (250 grams) dark. semisweet, or milk chocolate, melted
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ cups (200 grams) almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, melted chocolate, 4 egg yolks, espresso powder, vanilla, and salt until uniform. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Gradually add the sugar, and continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks, about 8-10 minutes. Fold in the almond flour and baking powder. Carefully stir in the chocolate mixture,
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the middle of the cake barely wiggles. Take care not to over-bake the cake or it will be dry.
- Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar. I prefer to heat each slice in the microwave for 15 seconds until the cake is warm and gooey. You'll want to do this too.