Homemade bread loaded with sweet caramelized onions, spicy habanero and fresh spinach makes the perfect anytime snack — especially delicious hot out of the oven.
By Carolyng Gomes
Cheesy Spinach and Caramelized Onion Bread
Homemade bread loaded with sweet caramelized onions, spicy habanero and fresh spinach makes the perfect anytime snack -- especially delicious hot out of the oven.
Author: Carolyng Gomes
Recipe Type: Bread
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 2 oz habanero jack cheese, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tbsp yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a food processor pulse spinach and cheese until large crumbles form.
- In a pan on medium heat sauté and caramelize onions. 15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer add all dry ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add spinach, habanero cheese and onion, with mixer on speed 2, until everything is evenly coated in flour mixture.
- While on speed 2 drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil and water until dough forms and separates from bowl.
- Preheat oven to 110 F.
- Overturn dough on floured surface and knead until dough is pillowy, pliable and not sticky.
- Transfer dough to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put in oven to rise until doubled. 1 hour.
- Remove dough from bowl, shape and transfer to an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush bread with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Allow bread to rise again while oven is heating.
- Bake bread for 30 minutes until shell is crisp and golden brown.