En Croute is a food that has been wrapped in pastry dough and then baked in the oven. Traditionally, the type of pastry used for making Pâté en Croute is a simple straight pastry dough called pâte à pâté, or pâté pastry. But today, puff pastry is frequently used for most en croute recipes.
By Sawsan Abu Farha
- Puff pastry squares
- 2 cups grated string cheese (you can use paneer, feta, halloumi or cheddar here too)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley leaves
- For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Beat the egg with the vinegar, this will be your egg wash.
- Mix the grated cheese with the parsley
- I used pre-cut puff pastry squares but you can use a sheet of puff pastry and roll it out thinly and then cut it into squares
- Brush the tops with egg wash
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the filling in the center of each square
- Fold on corner onto the one across from it diagonally
- Use a fork to seal the edges
- Brush each turnover with egg wash.
- Put each turnover onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake for 15- 20 minutes at 425F/220C/Gas mark 6 or until the turniovers are golden brown.