Imbibe in a Winter Crisp cocktail, formulated by Head Bartender of the Grey Lady, Michael Belasco, and made with Rekorderlig Cider.
Soothe your palate with this Winter Crisp cocktail as you brave through the rest of New York City’s frigid months. It is time to begin the countdown to spring!
Head Bartender at New York City’s shabby chic corner, Grey Lady and creator, Micheal Belasco shares his recipe and insight for his Winter Crisp concoction.
Inspired by his flavorful childhood memories, the drink focuses on these main ingredients: apples, amaro and maple syrup, with an emphasis on adding spice and warm notes to a chilly day.
The Winter Crisp is meant to toast the end of another day as the last blush of the sun rays illuminate the sky at magic hour. Toasting to a charming moment as you are surrounded by the glows of family and friends on a winter evening.
- 1.5oz Bourbon (preferred: Woodford Reserve)
- .75oz fresh lime juice
- .5oz Cinnamon infused Applejack
- .5oz Averna Amaro
- .25oz maple solution (1:1 ratio)
- ⅛oz St. Elizabeth All Spice Dram
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- 1oz Rekorderlig Pear Cider
- Method: add ingredients into shaker minus the bitters and cider. Shake for 8-12 seconds (depending on ice and strength of your shake) and then fine strain into Collins glass over fresh ice. Top with Pear Cider. Dash the bitters and ground nutmeg on top, then add a sprig of fresh mint and a thin apple slice for garnish. Serve and enjoy. Cheers.
- Maple solution: in a pan, add equal parts maple syrup to water over medium heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Strain into a container and let it sit in an ice bath for 15 minutes.
- Cinnamon Infused Applejack: combine 4-5 cinnamon sticks per bottle of the spirit and allow to rest for 24 hours. For a stronger cinnamon flavor leave in past 24 hours, but note the flavor will become more bitter as well. For a little extra apple flavor, simply core and slice 1 apple per bottle and allow it to rest with the cinnamon.