No fancy ingredients or complicated procedures needed. Just a handful of few everyday ingredients and a bit of love go in to making this a hit with your loved ones.
By Prathima Rao
A jam from a different ingredient than the usual fruits! Made this twice in a gap of two days. The first time round was an experiment batch and so made in miniscule quantities. I was apprehensive on how it would turn out. Did not want to waste a good batch of bright, cheery, plump and fresh carrots.
- Carrots - 125 gms
- Sugar - ½ cup or less
- Fresh Lime juice - Of 1 lime
- Lime Zest - Of 1 lime
- Almond flakes - 1.5 tsp
- Water - ¼ cup or less
- Peel and dice the carrots. Put the diced carrots in a microwave safe bowl, add water. Cover the bowl with a microwave safe lid and cook/ micro for 10 mins (80% power). Check after the initial 5 mins and stir once.
- When cooked after 10 mins, the carrots will be soft & cooked and almost no water remains. Drain if there is any water left and let the carrots cool a bit.
- Transfer the carrots to a mixer along with sugar (as per taste), lime juice and grind to a smooth paste. Do NOT add water when you grind.
- Put the paste back in the microwave safe bowl, add the lime zest, almond flakes. Microwave for 1 min.
- Cool and store in clean, dry airtight container in the refrigerator. This stays good for a few days, maybe 10 days. Not sure beyond this as it has not lasted for even upto 10 days here!
- Serve the sweet & tangy jam with bread toasts, pakoras, puris, masala puris, methi parathas, potato bonda to name a few.