These spiced treats are delicious as a snack, on salads and as an ice cream, pudding or cake topping and make a great homemade gift.
By Chris Scheuer
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cup walnuts
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 325?F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. If using foil, spray with cooking spray or lightly grease with oil.
- Combine butter, olive oil, brown sugar, honey, apple pie spice, and sea salt in a medium-size sauté pan. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and well combined, stirring occasionally.
- Add walnuts and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon till golden and sugar mixture binds to the walnuts. Turn onto prepared pan, and working quickly, separate nuts with wooden spoon or spatula. Be careful the nuts will be very hot!
- Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until nuts are a deep, golden brown. Stir nuts occasionally during baking time, then spread out again to a single layer. Remove from oven. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.