Crispy, fried chicken, done just right is a perfect halftime food as football season kicks off.
By Gina Kleinworth
One of my favorite dinner recipes is chicken tenders, but not all are created equal. For me, they MUST be super crispy and yet remain juicy on the inside. The only real way to do this is with a deep fryer. So once in a great while I pull it out and whip up some delicious buttermilk fried tenders and I swoon with every bite. As we launch into football season, this finger food is perfect for game days.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cut into strips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 quart oil for frying
- In a bowl, bowl, mix the egg, buttermilk and garlic powder.
- Place chicken strips into the bowl. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.
- In another large bowl mix together the flour, bread crumbs, salt and baking powder.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator, and drain
- Place chicken in flour mixture bowl & toss to coat.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees
- Carefully place coated chicken in hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown and juices run clear (approx 6-7 min)
- Drain on baking sheet lined with paper towels.