A unique slaw equipped with crunchy Brussel sprouts, crisp granny smith apples and bright green onions. Try this delicious side as a taco topping, too.
By Danielle Marullo
Spring is here! To me, spring means veggies and salads, or anything light and fresh. Brussel Sprous are one of the most popular items on restaurant menus and one of the easiest vegetables to pick up at the grocery store.
So I decided to turn an American favorite, coleslaw, into a unique slaw equipped with crunchy, shredded Brussel sprouts, crisp granny smith apples and bright, green onion and celery seed. Serve this side with sandwiches, at a BBQ or with any dinner entree. Plus, it is a great taco topping!
- ⅓ cup mayo (you can use lite mayo or even creme fraiche)
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 2-3 cups Shredded Brussel Sprouts (I bought them pre shredded but if you cannot find them just cut the tough core off the bottom of the sprouts and then chiffonade the leaves (cut into thin slices)
- ½ Granny Smith Apple Peeled and Shredded (I use the julienne setting on my mandolin slicer or you can do it by hand or on the large hole of a cheese grater.
- ½ Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- ½ Cup of Chopped Scallions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Flat Leaf Italian Parsley
- Whisk together the mayo dijon, vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl toss together the Brussel Sprouts, Apple, Scallions and Parsley.
- Pour the dressing over the sprout mixture little by little until it is dressed to your liking.
- You can eat it right away but it is best to wrap it up and put in in the fridge for a few hours or overnight so the flavors really come together.