Grab your favorite fudge-y brownies and top it with dollops of luscious chocolate ganache. Be careful, this dark, rich chunk of deliciousness can become an addition.
By Shuchi Mittal
Honestly, this cake doesn’t need a recipe.
It’s a slab of my regular fudgy brownies, topped with dollops of dark luscious chocolate ganache – except that I was a tad naughty and added cognac to the mix.
Be careful, for this [tall] dark & rich chunk of deliciousness can become an addiction.
- 150 grams (10-12 pieces) semisweet dark chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup white or milk chocolate chips -optional
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (cashew and almonds)- optional
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons good quality cognac
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 F). Grease a square or rectangular baking tray and keep aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water (water bath). Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar. Once the mixture is a bit cool, stir in the vanilla essence and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally, stir in the flour, salt, nuts and chocolate chips (if using).
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Make sure not to over bake as we want the brownies to be moist and fudgy in the center.
- Bake your brownie base and cool completely to room temperature. (You do not want to spread the ganache on even a moderately warm cake)
- Bring the cream to a simmer. Pour it over the broken chocolate pieces and mix. Once the chocolate has melted, add the cognac and whisk till the mixture gets a subtle shine and is smooth. Chill in an ice bath or in the refrigerator to thicken - this will make the ganache achieve a spreadable consistency (approx 15 minutes). When you’re ready to use it, give it a quick little whip again.
- Spread, sprinkle (if you wish)