Swap out a usual pie crust of a French silk with a layer of brownies and you have a brownie bottom chocolate pie, a chocolate lover’s dream.
If chocolate is what you’re craving, look no further than this brownie bottom chocolate pie.
My mother-in-law is famous for her french silk pie.
There have been fights over her french silk pie. It doesn’t matter how many other pies are on the table, and trust me there are plenty, everyone wants a piece of the french silk.
I decided I need to make a french silk pie for my family so they don’t have to pounce on grandma every time we see her. My fear of pie crust and my love of brownies in pretty much anything led me to this delicious pie. It’s fairly straightforward. Bake your favorite brownie recipe in a pie pan, and use this as your crust for the french silk pie filling. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and you have a dessert for the serious chocolate lover.
This is the brownie recipe I used for the crust.
- 1 recipe of brownies (see the link above)
- 4 ounces of dark chocolate (at least 60% cacao) i use the ghirardeli 72% melted and cooled
- 1 cup (2 sticks of butter) at room temperture
- 1½ cups super fine baking sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 large eggs, cold
- for the whipped cream topping -
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- shaved chocolate
- prepare your brownies according to the recipe or package - baking them for 30 minutes in a well greased pie plate
- allow to cool completely
- once the brownie crust has cooled, begin to make the filling
- melt chocolate and cool slightly
- in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light (2 minutes)
- scrape down the side of the bowl, and add the melted chocolate and vanilla - blend well and then switch to the whisk attachment
- add the cold eggs one at a time - whisking 5 minutes after each addition (this will take you a total of 20 minutes for the 4 eggs)
- spread the filling onto your cooled brownie pie crust and chill 4 hours (overnight is best)
- before serving whisk your cream with the powdered sugar until you have stiff peaks, spread on the pie and top with some extra shaved chocolate