PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Sweet and tart, this coffeecake is a perfect morning treat on Mother’s Day.
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake makes a delicious breakfast in bed for that special person in your life! Elevate traditional coffee cake base with a ton of lemon zest. Then once the batter is poured into the pan, dollop Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves in for blueberry goodness. Sprinkle on the crumbly pecan streusel topping, then bake until golden brown. This simple coffee cake makes a delicious Mother’s Day breakfast or a brunch centerpiece.
I don’t have many Mother’s Day memories from when I was a kid, but I know that my sister, my dad and I always worked together to make something for Mom for dinner or dessert.
The only memory that comes to mind without fail when I think of Mother’s Day is centered around a Key Lime Pie.
Specifically, a failed one.
My mom loves Key Lime Pie. But key limes are hard to find. And since the rest of us were just so-so on the pie, she never made herself one.
But one Mother’s Day, we went all in and baked a Key Lime Pie to show how much we love and appreciate her.
We baked a gorgeous pie – complete with a homemade crust – and when we took our first bite of it after our special Mother’s Day dinner, everyone cringed.
Bitter faces all around.
Turns out, we forgot to add the sugar to the pie, making it inedible.
Say it with me now: BAKING FAIL.
Whenever I think of Mother’s Day, that pie comes to mind, as well as how we wanted so badly to make Mom something she loved.
In the years since, I’ve worked on my execution of baked goods. While I still fail on occasion, I’ve gotten more consistent.
And I’ve gotta say: This Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake turned out dreamy, even though it’s not the failed dessert we once served.
I’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman, the brand that makes my favorite preserves in the whole world, to make a sweet treat for Mom for breakfast in bed.
And since Mother’s Day is May 14, we’ve got a little time to prepare. Bonne Maman preserves with natural ingredients that anyone can find in their pantry. The Non-GMO Project Verified preserves have no high fructose corn syrup, artificial flooring or added preservatives.
You can always find a jar in our fridge, and you’ll find them starring in this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake, adding the blueberry goodness to balance out the tart-sweetness of the lemon!
Bonne Maman is giving away a gorgeous 12-piece set of Le Creuset cookware plus many other goodies (over 1,000 prizes!) on their website. Click below to enter! Who doesn’t love beautiful cookware?!
For more recipe ideas, check out these fun toasts.
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (nonfat or whole fat OK)
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and cut into ½” cubes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans.
- Using a fork, mix the ingredients together until they’re incorporated.
- Add in the ½” cubes of chilled butter and the vanilla, using a pastry blender (or the same fork) to combine the mixture until it’s the texture of wet sand.
- When the streusel is the correct texture, pop the bowl in the refrigerator until time to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9” round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together using a hand mixer.
- Add the lemon zest, yogurt and eggs to the mixture, and blend until smooth.
- Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared round cake pan.
- Using a tablespoon measure, dollop the Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves on top of the batter. (I like to space mine out, as we’re going to incorporate the blueberry preserves into the batter using a knife.)
- Run a butter knife through the preserves, swirling them into the batter. (You can do as much or as little of this as you'd like. I recommend trying to swirl evenly, so every bite can feature some blueberry goodness.)
- Sprinkle the cold streusel topping on top of the batter, and transfer the cake pan to the preheated oven.
- Bake 45-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool, and remove from the cake pan, then serve slightly warm or at room temperature with your favorite breakfast beverage.