SPONSORED: We get excited about good food and great ingredients, so we’ve teamed up with Divine Flavor to bring you delicious recipes for each season made with their fresh produce.
This is a refreshing appetizer we can’t get enough of. Crisp cucumbers are rolled with a flavorful black bean hummus for a bite that won’t weigh you down or be too rich.
The holidays are finally upon us so key up the get-togethers, parties, food, food and more food that will be consumed. With the most indulgent foods being consumed in between Thanksgiving through New Year’s – I always love to throw in some really healthy, yet flavorful dishes to offset the gluttony and honestly, I prefer healthy options over rich, heavier foods.
Cucumbers are rich in potassium, vitamin C, B1, biotin and magnesium. Plus, during the holidays when we tend to neglect hydration, they are filled with water. I used Divine Flavor’s organic cucumbers for my recipe. In this recipe I share my latest obsession – black bean hummus but you can easily use store-bought if you prefer. This appetizer takes minutes to make so they are perfect for impromptu gatherings.
You can use a vegetable peeler or a mandoline to thinly slice your cucumber ribbons. I preferred the mandoline (please note: use the guide to protect your hand from the sharp blade. I used my hand initially for the first few ribbons when the cucumber was still thick).
Make sure you spread the hummus to the very end, even if it comes out a bit, to ensure they stay together and maintain the rolled shape.
You can leave plain or top with fresh dill sprigs for an idea or I used some pomegranate seeds for a festive red and green color palette. You can prepare these about an hour ahead of time if you’re hosting or attending a party.
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Into your food processor add your clove of garlic and pulse 4-5 times.
- Add the black beans, juiced lemon, tahini, cumin, paprika, pepper and salt.
- Turn the machine on and while running, drizzle the olive oil through the spout.
- Stop and scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Blend one more time for about 30 seconds.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.