Beet greens in this colorful dish get a nice Bengali touch from the addition of nigella seeds.
By Rinku Bhattacharya
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil (can be substituted with regular olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 small to medium red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 fingerling potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 3 green chilies, slit
- 2 cups finely chopped beet leaves
- Heat the oil on medium heat for about a minute.
- Add in the nigella seeds and add in the onion and sauté it for 3 to 4 minutes and let it turn lightly golden at the edges.
- Add in the ginger and sauté well.
- Add in the potatoes and mix well. Add in the potatoes and the salt and mix well and add in sugar.
- Stir in the green chilies and mix well.
- Add in the beet leaves and cook for 4 minutes, stirring and mixing well until the beet leaves wilt and mix into the potatoes.
- Serve as a side to any meal of your choice.