Overripe bananas aren’t just for bread anymore. Add them to basic chocolate chip cookies for added moistness.
By Roberta Pipito
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Overripe bananas aren't just for bread anymore. Add them to basic chocolate chip cookies for added moistness.
Author: Roberta Pipito
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 large mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend with mixer, butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and baking soda together. Let sit for about 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which will give the cookies a lift and rise.
- Mix the banana mixture with the butter mix. Then sift the flour, salt, and spices into the butter and banana mix and fold until just combined.
- Fold into the batter the chocolate chips. Either use an ice cream scooper for big cookies or a tablespoon for smaller cookies. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on racks.