Overripe bananas aren’t just for bread anymore. Add them to basic chocolate chip cookies for added moistness.
By Roberta Pipito
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 large mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend with mixer, butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and baking soda together. Let sit for about 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which will give the cookies a lift and rise.
- Mix the banana mixture with the butter mix. Then sift the flour, salt, and spices into the butter and banana mix and fold until just combined.
- Fold into the batter the chocolate chips. Either use an ice cream scooper for big cookies or a tablespoon for smaller cookies. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on racks.