Recently our little family traveled to visit some dear friends. While we were there, they told us about these amazing Banana Chia Seed Pancakes that they had made and said we should try them. So, just a few days after we got back home, I made some banana chia seed pancakes…and…can I just say, they’re pretty darn good.
Super healthy and packed with superfoods!
You can go the super simple route and add sliced bananas and chia seeds to your favorite pancake batter. Or you can give this pancake batter a try! It’s dense and hearty and sure to please your belly. You could call these superfood pancakes since they have chia seeds and coconut oil! Chia seeds are so versatile. They can be added to almost anything. Anything from oatmeal, smoothies, pancakes, cereals muffins, and more!
Healthy fats + fiber + fruit = some healthy pancakes
Coconut oil has so many benefits besides being a healthy cooking alternative. It’s great for diaper rashes (believe me, I’ve tried this multiple times and it works like a charm.) Good for cradle cap in babies. Some people use it for their hair or even as a skin moisturizer.
Google it and the list is endless.
Okay, back to the pancake batter…
All you’ll need is a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose flour with a tad bit of sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, coconut oil, milk, pure vanilla extract, chia seeds, and bananas. In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients. Then create a well in the ingredients by pushing them to the sides of the bowl. In the well, add wet ingredients and combine. Next, stir everything together. Fold in the sliced bananas and chia seeds and you’re ready to make pancakes! YUM!
Heat a pan to medium heat and add olive oil or butter depending on your taste preference. Be sure to not over heat your pan. Overheating will cook your pancakes faster but not always evenly. Pour about 1/2 cup batter onto pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until pancake is thoroughly cooked. Repeat to make all those delicious pancakes.
Now for the best part!…Syrup! Serve up these pancakes with your favorite syrup and breakfast beverage and enjoy!
Perhaps you have a cute little area where you eat your breakfast and you can look outside. Always makes for the sweetest mornings.
Who knew pancakes could be so healthy and delicious?! Hope these are a hit for you as they were for us.
~The Little Momma
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsps sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsps chia seeds
- 2-3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, coconut oil or butter (for cooking)
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients by pushing dry ingredients to sides of the bowl.
- Add milk, coconut oil, egg and vanilla extract to well. Stir to combine.
- Mix all wet and dry ingredients together.
- Fold in sliced bananas and chia seeds.
- In a pan over medium heat (careful to go any higher because pancakes will not cook as evenly), add olive oil or butter. Then pour about ½ cup batter.
- Cook about 2 minutes per side or until pancake is fully cooked.
- Remove and repeat for rest of batter. Makes about 8-10 pancakes.
**Can use one type of flour (either whole wheat or all purpose) but it will vary the texture and taste of the pancakes.