Roasting broccoli is a wonderful way to prepare it; as it crisps up in the oven, it caramelizes in spots and takes on an almost nutty flavor.
By Faith Gorsky
- 3 cups broccoli florets (about ¾ lb/350 g fresh broccoli)
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved, and thickly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh grated Parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss together all ingredients, then arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast until the broccoli is tender and browned in spots, about 18 to 22 minutes (depending how crispy you like your broccoli), tossing once halfway through.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top, if using, and serve immediately.