Autumn is right around the corner and I don’t know about you, but for me, Autumn and mushrooms go hand in hand. I always look forward when all different kinds of mushrooms make it back into the store. It’s hard to pick a favorite but one of my top choices is for sure Chanterelles. As a child I wasn’t to fond of them because of there looks, but the older I got the more I started to cherish there taste!
Chanterelles have a firm, moist and fibrous texture. If you taste them raw you will feel a peppery sensation in your throat. When you cook them, they will loose their pepperiness, but create a delicious flavor and texture to your dish.
It’s really important that you don’t wash your mushrooms. They are already moist and tend to draw water very quickly. If you hold them under water they will get soggy. Only clean them by brushing off little pieces of dirt or cut away icky parts.
My experience says rather to use butter than oil to roast Chanterelles. At first you are tempted to roast them for to long. The longer you roast them the more they’ll shrink. So simple roast them for 5-7 min in butter, salt and pepper them and they are ready to put a zing in any dish.
- 400 g (14 ounces) Pasta
- 300 g (10.6 ounces) Chanterelles
- 10 leaves of sage
- 50 g (1.8 Ounces) bacon, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, more if you need
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 100 ml (7 Tablespoons) vegetable stock
- 200 g (7 Ounces) Mascarpone
- fresh black pepper
- Brush off any dirt on your chanterelles (don't use water to clean them). I usually rather break mushrooms apart than cutting them. Bring them to the size you want.
- Cut sage leaves in sliced.
- Set frying pan on medium heat. Put diced bacon in and let it brown.
- Add chanterelles and roast for about 6 - 8 min. Add 1 Tbsp Olive oil if needed.
- In the meantime cook pasta as it says on the packaging. Cook them till al dente.
- Add sliced sage and garlic to your frying pan and roast for further 2 min.
- Stirr in vegetable stock and Mascarpone. Let it melt.
- Add salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
- Add finished pasta and combine well.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy.