Take your weekend brunch to the next level of comfort food goodness with stuffed and baked bacon and egg potatoes.
TIP: If potato halves don’t stand upright, cut a thin slice off the bottom to make a flat surface.
- 1 Russet potato
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons milk
- 2tablespoons shredded Italian blend cheese (like Sargento)
- 1tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2slices chopped, cooked bacon
- ½teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Wash potato, dry and pierce several times with a sharp knife or fork. If baking, preheat oven to 425°F. Liberally sprinkle garlic salt on wet skin. For softer skin, rub potatoes with oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and wrap with foil.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and cook 45 to 60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle meets no resistance.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. After baked potato cools, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop pulp into a bowl, leaving about ¼-inch around the edges. Mash pulp with a fork. Add butter, milk, cheese, onion, bacon and salt. Stir well. Spoon?back into skins. With the back of ?a spoon, create a deep well. You may have to remove some pulp. Place on baking sheet. Crack one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until egg whites are set.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped bacon or parsley.
Ham & Cheese: Substitute shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese for the Italian blend cheese and chopped ham (about ½ oz per potato half) for the bacon.
Salmon & Chive: Substitute sour cream for the milk, chives for the green onion and flaked cooked salmon (about ½ oz per potato half) for the bacon.