A soft clafoutis with sweet potato and apple has all the flavors of your favorite autumn pies in one. Full of spices, it is the perfect addition to your morning coffee.
By Kathleen Siegle
Prior to moving to Dubai, I never heard of a clafoutis before. Its a beautiful and delicate French pastry with a flan-like batter. It’s typically baked with plumbs or cherries, but the batter is so basic you can use any fruit or combinations of flavors you like. I love desserts that can be a blank canvas! Since fall is here, I went with sweet potatoes and cinnamon apples to create the most perfect apple and sweet potato clafoutis.
For another great fall dessert, try this Upside Down Caramel Apple Spice CakeS.
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup sweet potato puree
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 apple peeled and sliced into ¼ inch wedges
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat your oven to 325 F and spray a 9 inch round cake pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, butter, half and half, and sweet potato puree until smooth.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and whisk again until smooth.
- Place the batter in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the apple slices and fan them into a pretty patter on the bottom of the baking dish. Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Carefully and slowly pour the batter around the apples and sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and puffed up.
- Sever hot or room temperature with whipped cream.