A creamy, sweet and savory, totally vegan apple and butternut squash soup.
If you love butternut squash but hate having to peel it and cut it, we have a great trick for you! It will save you a ton of trouble and will make this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup extra sweet and creamy (and as a bonus, you’ll get to keep all your fingers..)
For the sake of my fingers (and going against one of my number one kitchen rules) I usually end up picking up a tray of pre-cut butternut squash. And that was exactly my plan when I started writing the shopping list for this recipe, until a friend gave a great tip: roasting the squash, whole.
Simple, right? No knife, no fights…. Just a whole lot of sweet, nutty flavor. All you have to do is place it in the oven at 400F and bake it for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until tender.
For this super simple roasted butternut squash soup, all we did was combine the tender, creamy squash with sweet apples, onions, a touch of spice and broth, and cooked it low and low to allow all the wonderful flavors to meld together.
And because soup is always better with a topping… here are a few to choose from!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium size organic apples (gala or honey crisp work best), unpeeled, cut and cored
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp agave, maple syrup or raw honey (for non-vegan option)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Place the butternut squash, whole, on the lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and set aside, until it’s cool enough to handle
- Cut it in half length wise. Scoop out the seeds, turn it skin side up and remove the skin with your hands. Place the flesh in a bowl and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the diced onion and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Add butternut squash and mash it with the back of a large wooden spoon
- Add the apples, broth, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes
- Let the soup cool completely and blend until smooth and creamy
- Pour the blended soup back in the pot, add agave and cook on low for another 15-20 minutes
- Adjust seasoning if necessary