Dried anchovies are common throughout Asia; although they might be trickier to find elsewhere, most Chinese supermarkets or specialty stores should carry them.
By Jehanne Ali
Author: Jehanne Ali
Recipe Type: Appetizer
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 red onion- diced finely
- ½ cup dried anchovies (ikan bilis)
- few sprigs spring onions-chopped
- 1 small red chilli- sliced finely
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Water as needed
- Canola oil for frying
- Grind the anchovies until almost fine powder. You can omit this step and have whole anchovies instead.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined, add water and form thick pancake batter like consistency.
- Heat the oil. Spoon some batter into the hot oil and fry until golden.
Originally Published: November 21, 2013