During a trip through Germany, this delicious black forest cake recipe was collected. Give it a try.
I like to collect recipes from the various regions I visit when I travel. Luckily river cruise lines like AmaWaterways realize that there are many like me enjoying these replicable memories we can take right from the ship into our own kitchens. there is nothing finer than a slice with some coffee to help recall the beautiful memories of your cruise.
AmaWaterways has a cruise down the Rhine River that winds its way from Basel, Switzerland through Germany and France to Amsterdam (or the reverse sail). There are so many castles to see from the ship and via the onshore excursions in Breisach, Riquewihr, and Heidelberg that this trip is called The Enchanting Rhine. One delightful afternoon is spent in the ship’s forward lounge with other guests trying to see who can spot the many castles we sail past in one particular part of the river.
My other favorite part of the trip? While dining or cruising there is a regional winemaker and some special wine trips have a guest winemaker who comes aboard, plus tasting in the towns. Some special wine trips have a guest winemaker who comes aboard
so your glass is never half-empty. Always half full!
With the complements of the fine folks of AmaWaterways we are delighted to bring you this guest favorite: Black Forest Cake.
- 1 chocolate sponge cake 8 inches
- 1.5 oz. whipped cream
- 1.5 cherries with juice
- 1 oz. Kirsch liquor
- Chocolate shavings for decoration
- SPONGE CAKE RECIPE:
- 6 eggs
- 5 oz. sugar
- 5 oz. flour
- 1 oz. cocoa powder.
- For the batter beat the eggs and sugar until peaks form.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together in a separate bowl and then gently fold into the eggs and sugar.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick round cake pan and bake at 350 F° for 30 minutes.
- When the cake has cooled, remove from the pan.
- Slice the cake horizontally into three layers.
- Soak each layer with a mix of cherries with juice and Kirsch.
- Between each layer of cake, spread the fresh whipped cream and sprinkle with cherries.
- Top the cake with remaining whipped cream, chocolate shavings and cherries